Mold is a type of fungus that develops in places where there is high humidity. Mold thrives in the bathroom, kitchen and other places that remain moist and cool most of the time. There are different types of mold. The black mold is a type of fungus that not only damages the property and household items; it also affects the health of people living in the home. It is important to take remedial measures for black mold removal as soon as you notice its presence. If its colonies take root deeply, it becomes difficult to remove it. A big part of affected structures may require breakage and remodeling to completely remove all traces of black mold from your home. There are mold remediation & abatement companies that you can use to help you with your mold issues. For example, San Diego mold removal does a great job with this.
Black mold or Stachybotrys chartarum is not highly toxic but it affects the air quality severely if it has taken root and spread to large areas. It will completely destroy the surfaces of building structures if you leave it unchecked. It will become a real menace if you do not initiate black mold removal process in its early stages. You can easily identify it. You will notice black and slimy spots on the walls, floors and other affected parts. There will be musty and pungent smell when you come near the affected areas. It spreads in damp areas faster.
Infants, elderly and individuals suffering from respiratory issues are at higher risks of health problems if black mold continues to grow inside the home. Very few people have natural immunity against the black toxic mold. Individuals affected by it experience health problems that can range from mild sneezing to extreme fever. If you are unable to identify the black mold as the cause of your health problems, you will continue to suffer for a long time. The spores of black mold are so fine that they float in the air. These spores enter homes through doors and windows. People, pets, and other items are also its carriers.
The best way to prevent black mold is to keep the interiors of your building in dry condition. The problem is that it is not possible to ensure a completely dry home. Once the mold has taken root, it spreads rapidly to all moist areas. There are many chemical solutions available on the market to prevent, kill and remove black mold. However, if it has spread to a large area, you should use services of a professional black mold removal company.
Do not remove the toxic black mold yourself if a large area is affected. In trying to do so, you may actually release millions of microscopic spores of this mold inside your home. You will further contaminate your building and aggravate the problem. It is better to use professional black mold removal services. This job requires the use of special equipment, tools, and protective gears. If you do not have such items and lack the knowledge in this matter, it is better to leave this job to professionals who know how to remove black mold colonies. The workers and technicians from the mold removal company will remove the black mold from your house completely. The task may require partially removing the surfaces of drywall where the mold colonies have taken root.
It is important to keep indoor humidity under control. Pay attention to the areas that remain wet and cool. If you are going to remove the black mold, it is necessary to first fix the water leaking pipes and joints. Some types of structural materials like concrete cannot keep out the water completely. These materials soak up water and remain moist for a long time. The surfaces of these materials are easily affected by the growth of mold. Fix all such water and moisture problems at the time of black mold removal process. It will help protect your health and house.
Mold causes respiratory ailments and house damage. It is in the best interest of every property owner to keep the premises mold-free. In case it gains a foothold, steps must immediately be taken to remove it. Homeowners may try to do so on their own but it is a job that is best performed by professionals. Consult Houston mold removal specialists for rates and other details. The process will proceed as follows:
1. Note mold locations and growth level.
Take action as soon as you see mold inside your house. Even if what you currently see doesn’t look like much, it would still be prudent to conduct a general inspection. You might be surprised to see that there are also other areas being affected by the contamination. List down all of these places and make notes about the level of growth in each of them. This will help you to monitor the spread of the fungus more effectively and perhaps find patterns.
2. Trace the source of moisture.
Mold cannot grow without moisture. Wherever there is contamination, there must be a water source that continues to feed the fungus. Any attempt at cleanup will be unsuccessful if this source is not found and eliminated. It will just grow back after a while. Therefore, the next step must be to find out where the moisture is coming from and stop the water from going to the marked areas. For example, the ceiling might be having mold issues because the roof has leaks and water keeps that spot wet throughout the season. Fix the leaks right away.
3. Isolate and clean the area.
Now that the water source has been cut off, you can be sure that the problem areas will dry up soon and the contamination will stop spreading. Attention must then focus on the fungal growth that is already there. The room must be isolated from the rest of the house so that the spores do not spread elsewhere. The doors and windows must be closed off. Dust should also be suppressed by misting the area. Furniture and other damaged porous materials may also have to be removed as well, such as in a flood. The cleaning can then begin in earnest by wiping and scrubbing using appropriate solutions.
4. Test to gauge success.
One can never be too sure whether the cleanup was successful or not. Fungus tends to be persistent. Therefore, the area must be tested to check if there is any remaining mold growth. A visual inspection must be conducted. Additional testing may also be conducted by professionals. The room should then be dried up, often with the help of fans and dehumidifiers to speed up the process.
The presence of mold must not be overlooked. It can quickly grow and spread throughout a room. It may even infect other parts of the house if the spores get out. Those who are sensitive to the allergens will have a bad time sneezing and coughing upon exposure. You might already be seeing these effects in the family. Put a stop to this through mold removal. You may try to do this yourself or hire a specialist to do it for you. The process will require several tools including the following:
Heavy Duty Gloves
Try not to touch the mold with your bare hands. The fungus might irritate your skin after contact. You might also spread it by accident if you touch other things or people afterward. Make sure that you use gloves to protect your hands, not only from the mold but also from the cleaning solution. This way, you will have no worries scrubbing dirty areas with all your might. Even if it takes a while, your hands will stay safe and clean inside. It will not curl up and get wrinkly or dry up because of the solution.
One thing that you should avoid is inhaling the pores and the fumes, as well as the dust around the area. Before starting the cleanup, make sure that you spray mist in the room so that the moisture can prevent dry dust from going up and mixing with the air. You should also wear a face mask with a filter that will keep unwanted particles out of your lungs.
In a lot of cases, the mold will grow overhead in the ceiling or on top of the walls because of leaks in the roof, moisture evaporation, and so on. Removing it will be tricky as you will have to reach up and stretch for access. There is a chance that some of the mold or even the chemicals you used can fall down on your face. This can become a big problem, especially if it falls in your eyes. Wearing safety goggles in a good prevention strategy. It is much better to be safe than sorry.
Lastly, you will have to get a suitable cleaning solution. Check your options and make sure that they specify mold on the label. Dealing with fungus is different from dealing with germs. The formulation has to be tweaked for the intended purpose. It would also be good to ensure that you are using a non-toxic cleaner with no harmful fumes or skin irritants.
It is no secret that I am driven by health and happiness and eco-friendly life choices; therefore, SandiegoLovesGreen is the perfect blog for me! Here I can share my ideas and stuff that makes me tick in the hopes that you will find yourself inspired. In the following pages you will be introduced by different products or even just news bytes that I discover in my own travels and journey along the way. I look forward to seeing you here again soon.